Here are some of my favorite female troublemakers of 2006:
10. This wee Brazilian preacher (pictured, right) gave me nightmares. Watch the video and be amazed.
9. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA), for blowing the whistle on some shady cover-up shenanigans at the FCC. She uncovered two media ownership studies that someone on the commission had attempted to wipe from the records.
8. Connie Chung, for her grace and style. Love the grunt!
7. Afrirampo and OOIOO, who each released amazing and fun chant-along records this year. Bonus points go to Afrirampo, who lived and recorded with a tribe of Pygmies in Cameroon!
Click here for a sample tune from Afrirampo's Baka Ga Kita (Moonlight)
Click here for a sample song from OOIOO's Taiga (Thrill Jockey)
6. The Bronx woman whose hair stopped a bullet.
5. Iva Toguri, aka Tokyo Rose, who passed away this year. Iva was an American forced to broadcast propaganda for Japan during WWII, and was later welcomed back to the U.S. by treason charges and a prison sentence.
4. Lore Barges of the band Dragibus, because there's something incredibly tough about her voice (click here for a sample tune in real audio).
3. Kola Boof (Osama bin Laden's alleged lover), for outing America's Most Wanted man on such guilty pleasures as Whitney Houston, MacGyver, and Van Halen.
2. Muffletoes (Hip Hop Raskalz) and the Rappers Delight Club, little girls telling it like it is.
Download the Muffletoes MP3 of "I Want Candy" here
Download the Rappers Delight Club's "First Ladies Club" here
1. Naomi Campbell, two words: assault and battery.
More DJ Top 10 lists here.