Some recent links of interest:
- Rick Rubin is hired to "save" Columbia Records from itself (NY Times article, requires login)
- Bob Lefsetz ain't buying the Rubin mythos (Lefsetz Letter: Part 1, Part 2)
- Hope for the industry? "Home-made, word-of-mouth" youtube mega hit orchestrated entirely by record label (WSJ article)
- KRS-One on the death of rap and the record industry (audio interview on the Megatron Don)
- Performance royalties vs. payola: radio stations and record labels scraping for survival (Washington Post article)
- It's now possible to wirelessly purchase music at Starbuck's using an iPod, yet impossible to stream internet radio on the device (Apple's announcement).
- Come to think of it, Starbuck's is now running a record label. Surely a sign of the apocalypse.