How come I had to hear about Rick Rolling via the New York Times? Oh well, working this new "day job" has put me behind on the times, and that's why Armagideontime was able to pull this one on me. April Fool indeed.
Speaking of pranks, I was duped into thinking that another great punk blog, Last Days of Man on Earth, had suddenly disappeared. Was this another April Fool's Day gag? After emailing Joe Stumble the truth was out. "This is an annual rite of passage for Last Days readers. It's called 'Joe Forgot to Pay his Bill Day'. Happens at the end of every March." Thank goodness that's all it was, or else we would have lost his recent discovery of a shitload of Die Kreuzen videos, as well as a recent classic rap collection. It's chock full o' Sugarhill era crucials.
Listen to: Ronnie Gee "Raptivity"
And speaking of advertising mascots gone wild, did you know that Smokey the Bear
preys prays every night? Of course he does - and Little Marcy proves it.
Listen to: "How Does Smokey Bear Spend the Evening?/When Smokey Bear Says His Prayers"
But praying isn't all fun and games in the forest. Yes, it is a complex job, being a Church Usher. Fortunately, there is a whole album that will show you the ropes.
Listen to: "The Doorkeepers, Don't Forget the Four S's"
More groovy mp3 finds after the jump.
First up, check this out: It's Christopher fucking Cross!
Soul Music lovers, head over to Fufu Stew for an ongoing selection of great soul mixes made by some of the best bloggers out there. The Come On In My Kitchen series just hit #10, with a great post of funk rock. When that category includes The Osmonds' "Crazy Horses", you know it's good. Find parts 1-9 here.
Another great B film is The Deadly Bees, but the real stars are The Birds: as in the band that featured a young Ronnie Wood.
Ground control to Major Tom, that sound you hear is the Mellotron. Even if you already know the sound, check out the stiffly British instructional video. This is just part one of the ongoing Classic Gear series.
- Gary Numan meets Devo in an EMI cage match. That's San Fran synth-poppers Our Daughters Wedding. Listen to: "Lawnchairs"
- Belgium's Eurovision challengers from 1977, Dream Express. Listen to: "I'm A Lion".
- There's cheesy 80s Eurodisco, and then there's the terrifying visage of The Twins. Listen to: "Ballet Dancer".
- It's the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell, Carolina Cotton. Listen to: Yodel Yodel Yodel!
- You think you know Olivia - you don't know from Olivia! Listen to: "Till You Say You'll Be Mine"
- The Pointer Sisters will always hold a special place in my heart. But most of all for doing this... Listen to: "Pinball Number Count"
Albums to snag (and other random things):
- Senegalese diva Aby Ngana Diop
- The Brainstorms - aka, Melissa's First Grade Class.
- "BETH. KEVIN. FUCK YOU BASTARD! AUDREY. LOVE YOU!" So say the actual recordings from the ghosts of Floyd Tillman's Tour Bus.
- Moog A Go Go!
- When Funky 16 Corners pays tribute to Dolemite - you just gots to listen.
- Dropping some science: Five Great Auditory Illusions.