Dylan Going's favorites of 2009:
- Vybz Kartel + Spice - "Romping Shop": The five or six times a day it was played on the radio I could picture what it's going to be like when this is the first song that plays at my wedding.
- work/death - "Accepting Irreplaceable Mechanics" c34 (Three Songs Of Lenin) Worth tracking down the P.O. Box to get it (pictured below)
- Bill Orcutt - "A New Way to Pay Old Debts" LP (Palilalia) Way great
- Franco El Gorila - "Welcome to the Jungle" (WY Records/MacheteMusic): Action, romance, staggering synth work, the B-52s, etc.
- Schlachthofbronx feat. Slush Puppy Kids - "Belly Full of Pills" EP (Disko B) Still can't pronounce it
- Drunkdriver + Mattin - "List of "Profound Insecurities" 12" (Badmaster): Some band learned how to play Megadeth songs backwards on dental equipment and kept my attention for all 24 inches of vinyl. Bravo!
- Twinsistermoon - "Hollow Mountain" (Dull Knife): Like a 17th century France monastery on Nembutal and Salvia
- Rusted Shut - "Dead" (Load) No regard for my well-being
- Charles Albright - "I'm on Drugs" 7" (SS): After the solo in this, I didn't have a hard time believing it
- Portal - "Swarth" (Profound Lore): Sounds as wild as the clock on the singer's head thing is
DG's Favorite Dance Music Songs From the Internet 2009:
- Machel Montano ft Pitbull, Lil John - The Floor is on Fire
- Marcus Price & Carli - Mat, Bira, Kvinnor, Weed (Kingdom Remix)
- Tinny - Zingolo (Doorly Remix)
- Rusko - Mishka Presents: Keep Watch Mix Vol. XII
- DJ Donna Summer - Nightmix
- Chief Boima - African By The Bay EP
- Hostage - I Get High
- Hudson Mohawke - Ooops (Oh My) Remix
DG's Favorite live tracks from the Free Music Archive (after the jump)
| It's been quite an initial year for the FMA! There's way too much going on within these 15,000 tracks to get an all-encompassing favorite free music of 2009 but I thought I'd give a shout out to some of my favorite live recordings I saw come through within the comfortable confines of an embeddable FMA mix.
Along with nine other instant classics, I've included one of my favorite recorded live bits this year: Dan Deacon imploring the Spanish-speaking crowd at Primavera Sound 09 to follow his human tunnel instructions. Speak English or die...in a poorly buttressed tunnel made of Deacadets!
Also, I don't know if it ruins it for you or not, but I just found out the Master Musicians of Bukkake aren't actually from Bukkake. The track's still good though.
Check out other WFMU staffers' year end lists here