1. Gories/Oblivians reunion show at the Majestic and afterparty at Muffy
2. Vodka-and-caviar party at Wake and Bake keyboard player Sasha’s
parents’ kitchen table, St. Petersburg, Russia.
3. Barbara Lynn at the Bell House, Brooklyn, the first time I'd seen her
when she didn't have a bum shoulder or a scratchy throat or a balky sound
4. Repeated visits to the lobby and mezzanine of the Guardian Building,
Detroit, the most stunning skyscraper in the world.
5. Friday-night dinner at the Ivanhoe (a.k.a. the Polish Yacht Club),
Detroit (it’s the only building still standing on its entire square block:
a microcosm of much that is great and tragic about this screwiest of
6. Howard Tate at Joe’s Pub, New York City, and again at the House of
Blues, New Orleans.
8. Randomly bumping into Allen Toussaint at the Minneapolis airport
exactly a week after catching the cheesy French Quarter T-shirt he’d
thrown into the audience during his excellent late, late show at the
9. Oh, yeah, the records: fantastic stuff from Eddie at Eddie’s 3-Way in
New Orleans; from Brad at People’s Records in Detroit; from Bob Mays’s
living room in Hazel Park, Michigan; from Chris at Street Corner in Oak
Park, Michigan; from Jeff at Record Graveyard in Hamtramck, Michigan; from
Wade at Hello Records in Detroit; from Dave G. and Asaf and Tattoo and
Greg and everyone else in New York; and from all my faceless suppliers in
10. TIE: The Greek salad at Yorkside Pizza, New Haven, Connecticut, made
by the same gentleman who made it for me 27 years ago and tasting exactly
the same; the carnitas at El Parian on Pico Boulevard in Los Angeles; and
the oysters handed to me one at a time by the shucker and washed down with
Abita at the counter at Casamento's after I'd written the place off years
To check out other WFMU DJ 2009 year end lists click here.